Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May 5

Don't insist on proving you are right all the time.  Relax your shoulders and realize that the world does not have to share your opinion.


I had a huge problem with this when I was growing up.  I grew up in a mostly wealthy, white, conservative, Christian neighborhood.  I know, First World Problems, right?  I am not saying it was the toughest area to grow up in (problem the opposite of that) but it did get frustrating for a   eleven year old who knew that she was an vegetarian liberal atheist.  I used to get into arguments with people all the time, including teachers.  Not saying that I was necessarily right all the time, but it is very easy to beat kids in arguments when they are not informed and merely repeating what their parents say once while watching the news.  It was so annoying to constantly realize that I could back my opinions better than any student I met in that school but still be treated like I was some kind of weird heathen.  However, in high school I got better about being inwardly satisfied and brushing things off.  I even wrote an article in the school paper about my experience.  Luckily, no one really read it.
AMANDA



When I grew up, I basically had all of the same opinions as everyone else. As I got older, that started to change. I am a vegetarian liberal atheist, as well. I guess you could say that I get into arguments, but I prefer to call them discussions. I never yell at people, I simply inform them. It still annoys me when people have no idea what they are talking about, but I've gotten better at holding my tongue. 


xx Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment