Friday, September 16, 2011

September 16

Knowing how to defend yourself when you are in a dangerous situation is very important.  You should make sure that you and the people around you know what to do in an emergency.

I read a book once called The Gift of Fear.  Mostly, I regretted reading it.  It had good information if you had never really thought about danger before, but I seem to weekly disturb myself by watching the news or reading the paper.  This book, for me at least, just put some faces to the disgusting events, and I wish some of the images would get out of mind.  If you never really have thought about what to do, here are the highlights from the book:
1. Potential rapists will used forced teamship (i.e. "we really got ourselves in a mess here" if you drop your groceries)
2. Never "prove" anything to them (i.e. "are you too proud to let me help you?")
3. Don't be embarrassed to be too careful.  In the long run, you won't regret it.
4. If you think someone is following you, don't glance quickly behind your shoulder.  Make sure you are in public, then turn completely around, and stare.
5. When you are in a parking garage alone (try not to be) hold your keys out.  They can be a weapon (which would help the police id the bastard) and they will quicken your speed for getting in the car.
AMANDA

It is a scary thing to be out on your own, with no one there to assure you that everything is all right. It is so dangerous for women to be out on the streets alone, especially at night. But I don't need to tell you this. The thing I have always struggled with, personally, is how to balance being an independent woman and being properly cautious. Am I being too paranoid and missing out on something? Or am I being reckless just for the sake of proving to myself that I can am fine alone? The one thing I will always do when I go out is make sure I am with somebody (if it is during the evening or night time) or make sure somebody knows where I am and can be contacted at all times. Prevention is always the best defense. Amanda has some great tips. :)

xx Brie

The threat of rapists and street violence is frightening to say the least. The best thing we can do is be prepared. Have you ever thought about what you would do if you were attacked or abducted? If so, what would your plan of action be?

No comments:

Post a Comment