Wednesday, September 21, 2011

September 21

No one is completely helpless.  Saying you are helpless is an excuse, and nothing else.

There is a great book by Michael Crichton called Sphere.  I haven't read it in a couple years but there has been one part that I always remembered.   The main character Norman is trapped in a tiny room that is slowly filling with water.  He thinks he is going to die, and then he remembers what one of his professors once told him.  There is always a choice.  I know this is fictitious but if a man who has a 90% chance of drowning can choose a different path, I think I can choose to do a few things in my life differently.  Today, I chose to play hooky. It was fantastic!  I got more work done than I would have if I went, I watched a delightful musical comedy, and spent time with my mom.  Now, I know I can't skip every day, but it was a wonderful feeling to know that when I was there, it was my choice.  It always makes being at that hellhole so much better.
AMANDA

Basically what I got from todays entry in our book was to take responsibility for my actions. If I do not like something about my life, I should change it. My own happiness is in my hands, therefore, I make myself happy on purpose. :)

Things that I take charge of
1. How I express myself creatively (here, no one has the authority to tell me what I am doing isn't good enough or that it is stupid or meaningless)
2. My free time (what's left of it; I realize I have no obligation to anyone but myself and that I can spend my own time as I please)

Here is one of my favourite quotes that always inspires me
"Who am I? I am a poet. My business? Writing. How do I live? I live. In my happy poverty I squander like a prince, my poems and songs of love. In hopes and dreams and castles-in-air, I'm a millionaire in spirit." - Rodolfo, "La Boheme"

xx Brie

So to reiterate what today's post was all about we will leave you with some questions and thoughts to apply to your own life. Are you unhappy? If so, are you purposely making yourself that way for one reason or another? If this is the case, do a little bit of introspection. What do you think is happening in your mind that is making you act as a martyr? Lastly, we would love to hear from you. How do you take control in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment