Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September 20

Sometimes it seems like other people are superheroes.  We see people working out every day and it immediately becomes "they must be different than me."  The author points out that maybe they are just making better decisions than you are.  Take responsibility for what you do or do not do.

When I read this section,  I felt like the page was talking directly to me.  I see people every day who are outgoing or in happy romantic relationships (definitely not something I excel at) and I think to myself "well, they are just wired differently."  I think that is partly true.  Some people enjoy attention more than others.  But there is a chance that these people are making a conscious effort to stand out because they know that they will have a better time if they are more involved.  So my happy action today isn't necessarily to be the center of attention now.  It is to acknowledge that I am choosing not to be.
AMANDA

Wow. I love Amanda's last statement. Lately, I have been trying to manage my time in a way that my work doesn't seem as overwhelming to me. It is either not working or it seems like I have more work than usual. It may seem odd for me to say this, but I never look at other people and feel jealous of what they have. I know that I am in control of my life, and the decisions I make are what shape what my life becomes. I like to think I have a lot of will power. Amanda and I once fasted for thirty hours to get a little feel for what it is like to be one of the many people in the world who go hungry every day. So that was a test to my will power. I would say that we did quite well. Though we got very moody halfway through. :)

xx Brie

If you are envious of someone's life, try to observe what they are doing differently from you. Do you ever sit on the sidelines and wish you were part of the action? Find the courage inside of you to participate, if just a little bit.
"You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you." -Bob Dylan
Some of us don't want what others have. We are happy with our own choices and realize that what is best for some is not always best for us.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment