Friday, November 18, 2011

November 18

Not everyone celebrates the same holidays as you or has the same beliefs.  Be open and kind.


This is so weird that this is the post!  Today I overheard a guy say that atheists were "depressed dumb asses".  Depressed, I suppose, because we don't believe in an afterlife and he expects us to be scared and sad all the time about inevitable death.  Dumb asses because ?????. Now, I know that he is ignorant and should not be given a second thought, but I hate even being in the vicinity of someone that rude.  I think even the most open minded people have their prejudices (I have a small thing against the French), but be careful what you say.  Even if you say something in jest, you will (should) instantly regret how ignorant you sound.  The holidays are truly a great time to say something ridiculously stupid in front of large groups of people after having one too many drinks.
The most perfect example of this:

AMANDA

I have a friend who thinks that she is better than everyone else because of her religion. It really makes me angry when she disgregards things that I say as unimportant because she doesn't believe them. When I told her that I was studying Zen Buddhism, she was very skeptical and said in a very snobbish, sarcastic tone "Well, good luck with that." Why can't we all just focus on the similarities of the religions instead of the differences? Think before you speak, and be aware of who else is in your company. Or even better yet, change your way of thinking so you are more accepting of others differences. You will save yourself the trouble of so much conflict, drama, and embarassment.

xx Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment