Friday, December 2, 2011

December 2

Plan how you will deal with rude or ignorant comments ahead of time so if any situations arise with relatives, you are ready.


Wow.  I really am stepping into another pair of shoes here with this one since I am usually the one who makes unintentionally rude comments.  Recently one of my uncles starting slamming my generation and told me to "use my brain for once".  He also stated that I had zero experience.  None of these comments were appreciated.  I just kept arguing with him until he tired himself out and then I hid in my bedroom for the remainder of the night.  I think I handled it pretty well; I held my own without being equally offensive (although I did call him a snob; totally justified).  I need to worry more about what comes out of my own mouth than what comes out of other people's.
AMANDA

My relatives and I generally get along very smoothly. There is one instance that I can recall in which a relative started yelling at me from across the room. And it was so unexpected, because I was talking with another relative at a normal speaking level very calmly at the table. I didn't know what to say at all to the yelling relative, so I just took a deep breath and walked into another room. I used that time to clear my head about what had happened, and I sorted through what I wanted to say in response in my mind. I am really proud of how I reacted in that situation, because I was able to stay calm and I avoided saying something I would regret. So, the best advice I could give for unexpected rude comments and situations of the like is to remain calm and, if possible, take a time out before responding. However, I know that is not always possible. If you remain calm so you won't speak with anger.

xx Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment