Sunday, December 4, 2011

December 4

When a person you love loses someone, it is often unclear how to act.  Listen to what the person says they need, not what you think they need.


In my experience, people never know how to act when someone they love is going through grief.  Everyone always seems to want something different.  When I lost my grandfather a couple of weeks ago, I actually wanted to talk about it.  I wanted to talk about him and what a dapper gentleman he was and I wanted to share some memories I had of him.  Of course, most people I talked to wanted to change the subject immediately because they figured I wanted to get my mind off him.  I love the second sentence in this message!
AMANDA

I completely agree that everyone needs something different when they are going through the process of grieving. I, personally, have never lost a close family member, so I can't speak for experience. I am not afraid to talk about my feelings, but I can't really say how I would act if I lost someone very close to me. Usually, when something terrible happens to me I let myself be sad for a while, and then I like to laugh about the problem and do happy things. Everyone grieves in different ways, and it is important to be sensitive and understanding to the feelings of everyone around you.

xx Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment